THINGS TO DO IN HARLEM
THINGS TO DO IN HARLEM
Harlem is located just north of Manhattan, is accessible from all areas of the New York Metropolitan Region. Many local attractions are close to public transportation or walking distance from hotels to theaters, dining and entertainment.
- 155th Street Viaduct leading to Macombs Dam Bridge
- Adam Clayton Powell Jr. State Office Building
- Astor Row
- Bushman Steps Stairway that led baseball fans from the subway to The Polo Grounds ticket booth.
- Fort Clinton, Central Park and Nutter’s Battery
- Frederick Douglass Circle
- Graham Court
- Hamilton Grange
- Harlem Hellfighters Monument / 369th Infantry Regiment Memorial
- Harlem Hospital Center
- Harlem YMCA
- Hooper Fountain Jumel Terrace and Morris-Jumel Mansion in modern day Washington Heights.
- Hotel Theresa
- James Bailey House
- La Marqueta
- Langston Hughes House
- Minton’s Playhouse
- Mink Building
- Mount Morris Bank Building
- Savoy Ballroom marked by a plaque on Lenox
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
- Strivers’ Row
- Cultural Center African Diaspora Instituterrio
- El Museo Del BaCaribbean
- Museum of the City of New York
- Studio Museum in Harlem
- Central Park
- Marcus Garvey Park Historic District
- Morningside Park
- Rucker Park
- The Cloisters
- Swing Low Harriot Tubman Memorial
- Duke Ellington Circle
- Alhambra Ballroom
- Apollo Theater
- Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute
- Cotton Club
- Harlem Stage
- National Black Theater
- Abyssinian Baptist Church
- Baptist House of Prayer
- Aloysius RC Church
- Martin’s Episcopal Church (formerly Trinity Church) designed by William Appleton Potter
- The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
Aloft – W XYZ BAR
- Address: 2296 Frederick Douglass Blvd NY 10027
- 11AM–4PM, 5–10:30PM Phone: (646) 688-5414
- Address: 274 Lenox Ave, NY
- Hip, bohemian restaurant & bar offering chai, creative Indian fusion fare & occasional live music.
- 11AM–10:30PM Phone: (917) 492-4806
- Address: 200 Malcolm X Blvd, NY 10026
- 5PM–10:30PM Phone: (212) 256-1073
- Address: 2143 Frederick Douglass Blvd, NY 10026
- Elevated American comfort food with Southern twists served in a stylish setting with a long bar.
- 6:30AM–5PM Phone:(917) 902-8345
- Address: 235 W 116th St, NY 10026
- Place for handmade bagels, spreads & deli items by a couple who began their business as a stand.
- 11:30AM–11PM Phone: (212) 694-1777
- Address: 700 West 125th St, NY, 10027
- Barbecue chain serving Southern-style meats & draft brews in a retro setting (sometimes live music).
Peque Vinos + Tapas
- 11:30AM–11PM Phone: (646) 678-4095
- Address: 231 W 145th St, NY 10039
- Spanish small plates & international wines offered in a European-style bistro with live music.
- 11AM–11PM Phone: (212) 283-5335
- Address: 2234 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd, NY Colorful, casual stop for homestyle Caribbean meals like fried goat & oxtail, for eat-in or takeout.
- 6PM–12AM Phone:
- Address: 2070 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd, NY
Manna’s Soul Food Buffet & Salad Bar
- (917) 749-9084
- Address: 2331 Frederick Douglass Blvd
- 11AM–10:00PM Phone: (917) 534-7937
- Address: 100 W 125th St, NY 10027
- Lively, family-friendly chain featuring Italian standards such as pastas & salads, with a full bar.
Piece of Velvet
- 11AM–9PM Phone: (646) 863-2969
- Address: 17 W 125th St, NY 10027
- Signature Red Velvet Cake & more!
- 9AM–11PM Phone: (212) 234-6474
- Address: 2375 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd, NY
- Chic neighborhood bistro for French-African cuisine in breezy, comfortable digs with African art
- 11AM–10:30PM Phone: (212) 280-1930
- Address: 261 W 125th St, NY 10027
Solomon & Kuff
- 5PM–2AM Phone: (212) 939-9443
- Address: 2331 12th Ave, New York, NY 10027
- Sizable restaurant & bar for Caribbean dishes, a huge rum selection & DJ nights.
Sottocasa Pizzeria Harlem
- 5PM–10:30PM Phone: (646) 928-4870
- Address: 227 Lenox Ave, NY 10027
- Brick oven pizza
- 11AM–10:30PM Phone: (917) 492-4806
- Address: 196 Malcolm X Blvd, NY 10026
- Stylish, relaxed Italian neighborhood cafe in Lower Harlem known for its desserts.
El Kall ejon
- 8AM–11:30PM Phone: (212) 222-8300
- Address: 209 E 117th St, NY 10035
- Cozy spot offering inventive Mexican small plates, cocktails, wines & a patio in a casual setting. (Happy Hour over 25 different sangria drinks)
- 12PM–2AM Phone: (212) 828-6723
- Address: 355 E 116th St, NY 10029
- This neighborhood BBQ joint with roadhouse decor dispenses house-smoked meats & craft beer.
- 11AM–11:00PM Phone: (212) 289-6222
- 1567 Lexington Ave A, NY 10029
- Spiffed-up burger shop known for its choice of sauces & toppings on beef, turkey & veggie patties.
- 12–4PM, 5–10:30PM Phone:(917) 492-4806
- 2179 3rd Ave #1, NY 10035
- Spacious Indian restaurant offering mild & spicy curries, tandoori fare & all You Can eat lunch buffet.
- 11AM–10PM Phone: (646) 590-2187
- Address: 2257 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10029
- Upbeat steakhouse offering an eclectic menu with seafood & global flavors, plus a lively bar.
- 11AM–10PM Phone: (212) 289-4689
- Address: 232 E 111th St, NY 10029
- Brick oven pizza, fine dinning
- 3PM–1-2AM Phone: (212) 722-9222
- Address: 172 E 106th St, NY 10029
- Latin restaurant, bar and lounge.
Sprinkle Splash Cakes
- 9AM–16PM Phone: (800) 764-6106
- Address: 1590 Park Ave, NY 10029
Chocolat Restaurant & Bar
- 11AM–3AM Phone: (212) 222-4545
- Address: 2223 Frederick Douglass Blvd, New York, NY 10026
- Casual eatery serving an American comfort food menu in a modern setting with an easygoing vibe.
Ginnys Soul & R&B Fridays @ Red Rooster
- 7PM–1 -3AM
- Address: 310 Lenox Ave, between 125 & 126 St
- Updated soul food & craft cocktails plus live music in the basement of Red Rooster.
Harlem’s Floridita Bar & Restaurant
- 9AM–12AM (212) 662-0090
- Address: 700 W 125th Street at 12th Ave
- Lively restaurant – traditional Cuban entrees, occasional live music & a daily happy hour.
- 8AM–2AM Phone: (212) 222-8300
- Address: 100 W 124th St, NY 10027
- Casual spot for burgers, shakes & more in a modern, dinerlike setting with retro Harlem photos.
- 12PM–2AM Phone: (212) 866-4500
- Address: 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd, NY 10026
- 4PM–3AM (646) 820-4603
- Address: 328 Malcolm X Blvd
- Rustic bar & music venue with charming, old-timey decor, craft cocktails & creative snacks.
The L- Lounge
- Address: 301 W 115th St, NY 10026
- Drinks and appetizers with live jazz, neo soul and R&B bands on Fridays
- 7AM–12AM (212) 866-9700
- Address: 341 Malcolm X Blvd (Lenox Ave) 127th St
- Senegalese-American restaurant, vibrant bar scene
- 4PM–12:30AM Phone: (646) 682-9526
- Address: 175 Lenox Ave, New York, NY 10026
- Sushi Bar Express.
- 4PM–12:30AM Phone: (212) 665-8081
- Address: 2210 Frederick Douglass Blvd, New York, NY 10026
- Chill cocktail lounge with a bar-food menu & DJs spinning hip-hop, plus poetry & comedy nights.
- 11AM–2:30AM Phone: (646) 370-4008
- Address: 2367 Frederick Douglass Blvd, New York, NY 10027
- Cozy spot offering modern Japanese noodle dishes & small plates, plus a bar/lounge with live music.
- 11AM–4AM Phone: (646) 692-4935
- Address: 300 W 116th St, New York, NY 10026
- Hip cafe & bar offers Middle Eastern eats such as shawarma & falafel, plus live music.
- 11AM–4AM Phone: (212) 690-7807
- Address: 2271 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd, NY 10030
- Arts & performance space hosting all-ages shows & serving drinks & bar bites. Cash only.
Harlem Shopping Area
- 125st from St Nicholas Ave – 5th Ave
NiLu Gift Shop
- 11AM–8PM (646) 964-4926
- 191 Malcolm X Blvd, New York, NY 10026
Harlem Trading Co
- 1PM–8PM (646) 666-0804
- 500 West 146th Street, Store #1, New York, NY 10031